Thursday, June 10, 2010

Alligators, Egrets, and Asininity

So there I was, minding my own business and watching the birds.

Photobucket

Yes, it's nesting season at Lake Martin again, and the wading birds are out in full force. Great egrets, snowy egrets, and all those other birds that we like to pretend we can identify, but really we just know that they're big and feathery.

Yes, they were all out today.

Nearby, these two were getting along famously, till an egocentric great egret decided that *he* wanted that branch!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Poor little other bird flew off to some other branch, where he may or may not have found better company.

Of course, there was an alligator floating just near the foray, ever hopeful that one of the birds would fall in the water, terribly injured but making a tasty snack!

Photobucket

Or perhaps he was trying to steal the fish from this hungry, hard-working fisher bird?


Whatever he was doing, he was nothing ... NOTHING! ... compared to what was waiting for me by my car. When I arrived at my car, it was absolutely terrifying ... horrifying, really! I didn't know if I could get by the beast, the fattest and craziest-looking alligator I'd ever seen.

But I lived to tell the tale so that you, too, may bear witness to my nightmares:







Photobucket



No comments:

Post a Comment