Sunday, January 8, 2017

Butchart the Beautiful

As I'm starting to think about where I might visit in 2017, I realize that I never wrote about summer 2014.  Oops!

... and that's a really big "oops" because we visited an incredible garden in Victoria, British Columbia: Butchart Gardens.
 photo Garden red flower_zps03yyec4c.jpg
While staying in Port Angeles, WA, we took the ferry across the Strait of Juan de Fuca.  I love being on a boat -- pretty much any boat -- and the weather on the way to Canada was perfect, so the trip across the water was pretty much bliss for me!
 photo Coho bell_zpsuhtvsk94.jpg
Upon arrival, we explored the harbor area, had a delicious lunch at Sam's Deli (Delish!!), and then walked to Craigdarroch Castle.

 photo Craigdarroch Castle_zps8nvdqbmt.jpg
I was somewhat disappointed with the walk: although the brochures promised cute, unique shops, the shopping district was instead filled with the same old stores and the same old items found anywhere.

Craigdarroch Castle was pretty cool, though.  We could see a garden filled with lavender as we approached, and the bees were super-busy!
   photo Craigdarroch bee_zpscdp622np.jpg

Inside, the castle -- really a house -- is a four-story structure with some interesting things, like this ...

 photo Craigdarroch interior_zpsglhqnakh.jpg

 photo castle_zpsrczbqiek.jpg
After leaving, as we headed back to the harbor area, we detoured through the Rockland Woodland Garden.  This garden, a narrow strip along a little street, is filled with interesting flowers!

 photo rocland 1_zpshybum7uk.jpg

 photo rockland 2_zpsz2hvycfq.jpg

Upon arrival at the harbor, we had to decide: go back to Port Angeles ... or something else.  We decided on something else, and that something was Butchart Gardens.  So we booked tickets on the tour bus and headed inland.

I wasn't expecting much.  I didn't know what to expect, but not much.  And boy, was I surprised and impressed by what I saw!  We walked into a life-sized chess game, and then moved onto the gardens.

 photo Garden chess_zpsa7g27f6f.jpg

 The Sunken Garden, the Japanese Garden, and Butchart Cove ... I couldn't pick a favorite.
 photo Garden sunken_zpsyxawes2w.jpg

 photo Garden harbor_zpsd7odipey.jpg

But, as always, it was the roses that stole my heart!    photo Garden white amp pink rose_zpsjlebgybt.jpg

 photo Garden rose_zpsnpf75mao.jpg

If I ever make it back to Victoria, I won't make the mistake of wondering what to do with my time. No, I'm sure of it: Butchart Gardens will be at the top of my "must visit" list!

No comments:

Post a Comment