Friday, March 25, 2011

Apples vs. Oranges ... blossoms, that is.

Well, it's apples vs. satsumas in my yard. But both are in bloom and both smell divine!

Citrus, as you may know, grows quite well in south Louisiana. I planted my own citrus - a satsuma, an orange, and a kumquat - a few years ago, after I discovered that my son has quite a taste for it. The kumquat has been productive, the orange tree died during an extended freeze, and the satsuma has yet to produce a ripe fruit.

Yet the satsuma makes flowers each year, and this year - the third year after being planted - is no exception. Every time I walk outside, I can smell the blossoms in the air. The bees can, too, and have been busily working to pollinate all the flowers!



Photobucket


Citrus is big here, as are figs and blueberries, and my pear is quite productive, too. But apples? Well, two of my co-workers have apples trees - actually, two of my co-workers' mothers have apples - but they bring them in now & then ... though I must report that they never share.

So last year, in my effort to expand my mini-orchard, inspired by my co-workers and with much help from the folks at Stark Bro's nursery, I found two apples that will grow in my warm climate. Grow AND hopefully produce fruit one day!


Photobucket


After talking to Stark Bros. customer service, reading its website, and doing some research on my own, I settled on two dwarf apple trees: Winter Banana Antique and a regular old Golden Delicious. While red delicious and a couple of others were recommended for pollinating my Winter Banana, none of the selections were recommended for my zone. The Golden Delicious, on the other hand, is, plus it is self-pollinating, which greatly increases my chance of getting apples from at least one tree.

The Winter Banana, which is reported to have a "subtle aroma of banana," was the first to leaf our and bloom this year.


Photobucket

The first few leaves came out, and I anxiously awaited the blossoms. My pear tree is generally covered in blossoms before any green leaves appear, so I thought that maybe I would have to wait until next year to see an apple blossom.

Imagine my delight, however, when I saw these buds!

Photobucket


Who knew apples began their blossoms in pink? Just lovely.

On the same day, I noticed that another branch had blossoms ... real, true, live apple blossoms. All the way down here at the top of Zone 9. Of course, I had to have a little sniff, since I am so spoiled with satsuma blossoms right now.

Photobucket


The smell is so sweet and lovely, I just can't describe it. It's different than the citrus and even the pear, with its light and delicate scent. It's not bold, like the satsuma, or elusive, like the pear, but just a very sweet and welcome addition to my life experience.

I am so happy with my apple trees, even if it is another or two before I see a fruit. The words attributed to Martin Luther remain ever true today:

"Even if I knew that tomorrow the world would go to pieces, I would still plant my apple tree."

No comments:

Post a Comment