Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Appreciating the Little Things

One of my old friends commented on facebook the other day that she wished she had something to be excited about. My immediate reaction - perhaps unsurprisingly, to those who know me - was, WOW, Look around! There is SO MUCH to be excited about!!



But she wanted something big, and it made me think about how we don't really appreciate the little things in our lives ... well, until they are gone or we're worried they'll be gone.



Yet every day, every single day, we have something we can be grateful for and excited about. It just might take a bit of looking to figure out what it is on any given day, but I'm confident that each of us has something to light up our lives every day.



Here are a few things I'm excited about ... truly. excited. about. Even if I don't always say it ...



* I've got a great kid, and so far, I've been blessed with another day and another day to enjoy his company.



* I've got a great family and untold numbers of friends. I don't talk to them all every day, but they remain in my heart with each and every beat. It's wonderful to know that I've got a support system, should I need it ... assuming that I haven't already used up my quota in this lifetime!



* I've got the best pets ever. My dog is the prettiest husky-lab mix I've ever seen, and my cats are fairly well trained ... for cats. Every day that I come home and the dog hasn't eaten the sofa or a wall (yes, both have happened), I am pretty darn excited!



* On sunny days, I'm grateful for the sun, and on rainy days, I'm happy that my plants are being watered. On cold days, I appreciate the summer, and during the summer, I am happy to be able to walk outside despite the heat and humidity and enjoy the sauna that masquerades as Mother Nature.



* When I find some really great food, I relish in its yummy goodness. When I find something I'm not so crazy about, I am glad to have food to eat, and it makes me appreciate the deliciousness all the more.



* I admit that I am not a fan of mowing the lawn, but I am thrilled that I can start the lawn mower (quite a feat all by itself!) and that I am physically able to take care of my yard the way I want to. Plus cutting the grass makes my flower beds look so much prettier!



I could go on and on, but I'll stop after boring you only a little.



We are so spoiled that we, as a society, tend to think that we need something big all the time, but when it comes right down to it, it's the little things that make our lives what they are. It's the little things that really matter.

2 comments:

  1. I cant garden the way I would like this year but I can watch yours grow.
    The way you set up the garden is beautiful.What veggies do you suggest maybe I can do in a container for the summer? I use a reel mower its better for me because I just cant seem to use the gas and electric powered ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would say that what you can grow in containers depends on where you are. Down here in the very Deep South, lettuces are great containers plants in the cooler weather, but will not do well in the summer - not even the heat tolerant kind - because they will usually taste bitter and will bolt very quickly. Peppers and squash and smaller tomato plants do okay, but down here I have to water my containers twice a day during much of the summer because it just so hot. People in more moderate climates seem to have better luck. Hopefully you are in one of those! :)

    ReplyDelete